The tour is coming up friends and hopefully there will be a lot of talking and writing about the soon to be released Album If not now,when?. This thread is meant to collect all the links worldwide where Anything Incubus has been covered the past weeks and will be covered in the future. 

Not only is it interesting to see how different the views are culturally and between nations, but also how the media landscape will change in time.

So, let's start an archive for every one to access and read whenever wanted.

Tags: archive, article, blog, coverage, culture, media, press

Views: 8707

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Overcoming Obstacles And Facing Your Fears with Incubus Frontman Brandon Boyd

Brandon Boyd by Brantley Gutierrez

In this extremely open and honest interview, Incubus frontman, Brandon Boyd, shares his entertaining, amusing and bizarre thoughts on procrastination, overcoming obstacles and facing your fears.

If you’ve recently read the post How I Made The Biggest Decision Of My Life you’ll already know that I’m a big fan of multi-platinum rock band, Incubus. I won’t repeat the story, other than to say great music and great art really can change people’s lives and Brandon’s music dramatically changed the direction of my life. I’ve put a lot of effort into this interview so I can pay it forward, and hopefully Brandon’s experience will inspire you to think differently and take some action on what you’ve learned.

The excellent portrait photography in this article was provided by Brantley Gutierrez and a special thanks goes to Jen DiSisto

Brandon’s not only the frontman of successful band Incubus, he’s also a skilled artist, the author of two books and a kick ass surfer. Click

here to check out more of Brandon’s artwork or to purchase one of his prints. But not before reading his fascinating interview.

Angel: So Brandon what was the first thing you remember creating as a child?

Brandon: The first thing I can recall would be little crayon and pencil drawings of good germs and bad germs. The good germ wore a cape and he would fly around drawings of my stomach or my ears or my nose with a rag in his hand. His job was to wipe out the bad germs so I didn’t feel sick anymore. I did these drawings quite methodically when I felt ill or out of sorts. They were my first experience with art as a medium for manifesting positive, physical results. I would learn many years later in school that this was not unlike many archaic, magical rituals that people did in hopes of controlling the chaotic world around them.

I Ate Lunch At The Stoners Table

Angel: And were you one of the cool kids at school or were you an outsider?

Brandon: Whatever social role I played in school was peripheral, at best, to me. from my earliest school memories until High School. I just didn’t really care that much. It seems that incredible levels of importance are placed on social standing in High School; but I found myself in the advantageous position of having a talented, good looking, and very popular older brother while I was in High School.

He was a Senior when I was a Freshman. So all of the bullying, taunting and “normal” barbaric behaviors that kids put each other through was saved for other unfortunate first year students. I wasn’t the most popular kid in school, nor was I an outcast. I occupied that rarely talked about position of ‘balance’ during those formative years. When I started 10th grade, my friends and I formed a band, and that seemed to ease certain transitions through school a bit too. But for clarity’s sake? I ate lunch at the Stoner’s table.

"Spilling Spinning"

"Spilling Spinning" By Brandon Boyd

Grabbed Me By My Chest

Angel: What made you decide to commit to music full time after studying art at college for 2 years?

I decided to drop out of Community College to pursue music because it reared up and grabbed me by the chest! And for the record, it hasn’t let go. I am as enamoured with sound as I am with color, line and concept. Music has always seemed to me to be as much an artistic journey as painting a picture. It is like choosing paint over clay, or something like that. I knew that the feeling inherent in composing a song was almost identical to that of painting a picture. Baring the obvious exceptions. But I have always dreamed of dedicating continuous energy to my visual and conceptual pursuits, like I have been doing towards music for the past 20 years.

Angel: Did you set any specific goals when you were setting out?

Brandon: My plan thus far in my life has always been to not have a plan. And if I did, keep it as quiet as possible. (Smiles fiendishly and runs away…) I indeed set short term goals for myself; I make lists, accomplish what is necessary and cross the tasks off accordingly.

But the whole point in art, to me, is to not know exactly what you are doing until you are already doing it! You can rehearse, you can practice painting, you can read and re-read your lines before your speech; but no amount of practice will make a difference once that moment emerges. That moment wherein we unconsciously rely upon the larger part of our unconscious. It brings with it a sense of euphoria and elation, and I think it’s that moment that I am chasing in crafting songs, thoughts and imagery.

"Orangutan" by Brandon Boyd

"Orangutan" by Brandon Boyd

I Lost My Hands And Feet At An Unfortunate Spelunking Safety Seminar

Angel: People always have excuses for why they can’t start a band or creative career. Some of the ones we hear a lot are; not enough money, time, confidence, credibility, resources, did you have these same problems when you started out, and how did you handle them?

Brandon: That is a really good question. The problem of procrastination and or the ‘False Start.’ I have been through phases in my life, both distant and recent, wherein I make every excuse in the book as to why I am not being creative. And the only excuse that I can say is worth a damn is… “Maybe I’m just not feeling creative today.” That and or the “I lost my hands and feet at an unfortunate Spelunking Safety Seminar and all hope went out the window” excuse. A tough one to eclipse.  Other than that, I would say that there is no excuse. In my opinion, there never has, never was and never will be a shortage of things to be inspired by! And the biggest thing holding one back is usually a bad attitude.

"Purge" by Brandon Boyd

"Purge" by Brandon Boyd

Angel: Did you have any particular people who helped mentor or guide you when you started out?

Brandon: This idea of mentorship has come up quite a bit recently. I did not have any direct mentors; I had a very creative household, immediate and extended. I as well had very supportive parents, in that they helped facilitate almost any and all of my creative whims. That is, within reason. I am sure I had some backwards ass ideas about turning the garage into a ‘pay as you play’ music venue at some point. Sorry Dad. And thanks for letting us pollute the air in your house.  That being said, I have close friends who mentored under good, creative people and the results are astounding. I doubt there is any one way to squeeze expressive people through the cracks. I am of the mind that everyone has the potential to make masterpieces.

If You Are In A Hurry, Write A Pop Song And Make A Sex Tape.

Angel: When people first set out on a creative career they don’t realize how long it takes to become successful, after a couple of years most people usually quit, what did you focus on in the early days in order to motivate yourself to continue?

Brandon: Ah yes, the time dilemma. Our band is actually a good example of the ‘slow burn.’ We had the good fortune of starting while we were still living under our parents roof’s. And we had nothing but homework and odd, after school jobs to attend to outside of writing rock and roll tunes. The fact that we stayed together this long is really one of the most noteworthy topics.

I didn’t grow up idolizing rock stars so much as I did romanticizing the idea of living a creative and expressive life.  I remember very specifically as a teenager, worrying about how I was going to make money to buy gas to put in my car so I could go see shows and go surfing. We all have that time in our lives when we first start driving where if someone asks for a lift, they are expected to chip in for gas. But I quickly tired of lamenting my next paycheck. I allowed myself the understanding, at a relatively young age, that if I was going to be happy in my life, I would probably have to be poor and do the things I love to do for free. And when I let that notion in, funnily enough, we started getting paid to do gigs. First in people’s backyards and living rooms, then into bars, and theaters. So on and so forth. It has been a slow, enlightening, and remarkable journey. One we as a band have always likened to that of the Tortoise.  The bottom line is, if you are in it to make money, try a different line of work. If you are in a hurry, write Pop songs and make a sex tape.

"Spinning Hair Girl" by Brandon Boyd

"Spinning Hair Girl" by Brandon Boyd

Bringing A Spork To A Gun Fight

Angel: How do you keep your energy up with all the work required to make it in this business?

Brandon: Creative work is energetic work! When we are low on energy, and trying to be expressive, it’s like bringing a spork to a gun fight. Understanding this, I use my time in the interim doing outdoorsy and energetic things. I have been surfing since I was eleven and still get the same feeling from it as I did when I first stood up on the board.

Surfing, as well, is a lot more like art than most people give it credit for. After all, the canvas we surf upon is never the same twice! We don’t quite know what we are doing until the moment we are doing it.  And in between waves, one has the opportunity to reflect on how beautiful and serene the experience is. A rare communion with the birthplace of all life on Earth! Are you fucking kidding me? What’s not to like about that? Timothy Leary called surfing, “…the ultimate in spontaneous interaction!”

Bicycles have been a growing passion of mine for the past nine years or so years as well. It is a physically exerting activity, but on a deeper note it’s also an unconscious social reaction to the state of the Modern Urbanites plight. Gasoline is too expensive, cars have cut us off from our communal nature and separated us into sub-categories of envy and social standing, traffic has enraged us and turned us against each other, the oil is running out and almost all of our eggs are in the petroleum basket. And not the least of our worries, the result of 100 years of our petroleum addiction has taken a strange and violent toll on our ability to successfully inhabit our planet. Bicycles are one of the most simplified and ingenious mechanisms that human beings have ever concocted and over the past few years, it has been fascinating to watch it (the bicycle) re-emerge as a tool not only for transportation, but as well for play and expressivity! So, in a nutshell, I like to ride my bike to the beach and surf while I am letting paint dry.

Brandon Boyd by Baelyn Neff

Brandon Boyd by Baelyn Neff

Most Likely You Aren’t Going To Die From Paint Inhalation

Angel: What are your thoughts on fear, does it help or hinder you?

Brandon: Fear is a very interesting topic! I have many fears, some rational and others irrational. My fear of speaking in front of large audiences? Rational. My fear of flying Sharks that  know my home address? Irrational. The most interesting thing about fear, in my opinion, is the results. What will happen if I face my fears? What is it I am essentially afraid of? I start addressing those fears by asking these fundamental questions. A vast majority of the answers to said questions appear as… “An irrational fear of death.”  Which brings you to the ultimate question herein: Am I afraid of dying? Sorry to get so heady on you here.

In my experience, the best way to handle fear is to treat it like the attacking bear; Stand and face it. Put your arm in the air and make yourself appear to be larger than you actually are! Some experts would argue that ‘Playing dead’ is the best defence against the bear, but I say fuck that shit. That’s boring. And what in the world can you accomplish from playing dead? That is until you are in the bear’s mouth, he is chewing and your friends are running in the other direction. Then you might just relax a little and think about your favorite tv show.

"Ectoplasm" by Brandon Boyd

"Ectoplasm" by Brandon Boyd

What I am trying to say is, if you are afraid to paint a picture, start a band, or ask that super groovy chick who lives next door to you on a date, stand and face it! Most likely you aren’t going to die from paint inhalation or being flattened by a falling canvas. The odds are that you won’t die while on stage. Unless someone with an unripe tomato has remarkable aim and hits you square in the nose, pushing the bridge of your sniffer into your brain. And if you ask her out, she may say no, and you’ll feel bad for a minute. Then you’ll realize that the girls who get boobs early are statistically the first ones to get pregnant too! Be afraid!

Rich and Famous

Angel: So is life in the public eye what you thought it would be when you set out?

Brandon: Life in the public eye is very strange. Some would argue that there are more downsides to it than up. This is a disconcerting revelation! We are taught, especially in America, that to be rich and famous is the nectar of the American Dream. Once you “make it” you don’t ever have to worry about anything anymore! The problems of the world literally melt away in front of your eyes like the cheap ‘back in time’ effect that dribbles down the TV screen as our beloved fictional icons think back onto better, more wholesome times…

I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but the fact is that if you are an unhappy, unhealthy, unbalanced and unworthy recipient of wealth, and fame. You will most likely be an unhappy, unhealthy, unbalanced, and unworthy rich and famous person. So everyone will know when you are having a childish moment.  Everyone will hear about your speeding ticket. Remember that time you sharted at the beach party and got caught jettisoning your underwear into the rubbish by your best friend and he promised not to tell anyone or as God as his witness, he should be struck down where he stand?

"Two For Flinching" by Brandon Boyd

"Two For Flinching" by Brandon Boyd

Well, in the rich and famous scenario, your best friend isn’t really your best friend, he doesn’t actually believe in the same God as you do and he is going to tell everyone that he caught you stuffing your skivvies down the toilet hole with a broomstick. Everyone at this fictional beach party, of course, has a blackberry or mobile device and within minutes, TMZ is airing the news with the fervor of a CNN correspondent when Osama Bin Laden was shot! My point is, check your intentions. Fame merely magnifies pre-existing conditions. So it does have the potential to positively alter lives. I shall leave it at that.

What Do you Guys Think?

Brandon said “When we are low on energy, and trying to be expressive, it’s like bringing a spork to a gun fight.” Tell us in the comments what activities you enjoying doing in order to increase your energy and be more creative more often.

If you enjoyed this interview tell Brandon on twitter by clicking here

http://www.subvertmagazine.com/blog/brandon-boyd-art/

Jose Pasillas: Sinking Back Into The Beat

http://www.drummagazine.com/features/post/jose-pasillas-sinking-bac...

Thanks Gabygasper! That Subvert magazine interview is one of my favs. The article on Jose Pasillas really gave me some insight into the creation of If Not Now When & I really enjoyed reading it. You're amazing! I'm glad you post all these interesting pieces!

All that you say is very nice ! Thank you so much Me !

Incubus’ Brandon Boyd Opens Up To Students At Musician’s Institute In Hollywood
Caitlyn Trudnich

http://kroq.radio.com/2012/03/06/incubus-brandon-boyd-opens-up-to-s...

Incubus' Good Fortune

With 2012 marking the beginning of Incubus' third decade as a band, the GRAMMY-nominated five-piece alternative rock outfit from Calabasas, Calif., are as strong as ever. In July 2011 they released their seventh studio album, If Not Now, When? — marking their fifth album to chart in the Top 5 on the Billboard 200. The band is also currently in the middle of an international tour in support of the release. In an exclusive interview with GRAMMY.com, Incubus frontman Brandon Boyd and guitarist Mike Einziger discussed the band's most recent album, touring, being nominated for a GRAMMY, and how Incubus has endured, among other topics. 

"Being in a band is so much like being in a relationship," says Boyd. "It's a platonic relationship and communication is intimate, but it's intimate on this sort of creative, intellectual level, and it's beautiful when it works. … We have 20 years of practice at that kind of communication, but the remarkable nature of it has never worn off."

Incubus' staying power is likely the result of a band formed by high school friends — Boyd, Einziger and drummer José Pasillas. (The current lineup also includes bassist Ben Kenney and turntablist DJ Chris Kilmore.) In 1995 the band independently released their debut, Fungus Amongus, earning them a strong local following and a record deal. Two years later they emerged with their major label debut, S.C.I.E.N.C.E., featuring 12 tracks spanning funk and hard rock. The band subsequently toured with 311, Korn, Sublime, and Unwritten Law, among others. Make Yourself followed in 1999, peaking in the Top 50 on the Billboard 200 and featuring the hit singles "Drive," "Pardon Me" and "Stellar."

Incubus returned in 2001 with Morning View, which reached No. 2 on the Billboard 200 and marked the band's first album to reach the Top 10 on the strength of the hit singles "Wish You Were Here" and "Nice To Know You." A Crow Left Of The Murder… followed in 2004 and peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard 200, earning the band their first GRAMMY nomination for Best Hard Rock Performance for "Megalomaniac."

"Being nominated for a GRAMMY is awesome," says Einziger. "It makes you want to jump up and down and do happy dances."

The band members subsequently decided to explore different creative outlets, leading to a two-year hiatus.

"It's so much more enjoyable to reach out," says Boyd on exploring different artistic avenues. "[But] Incubus is sort of the house, the weighty structure that we've been building this whole time. So everything we do comes back to that."

Incubus reconvened in 2006 to release Light Grenades, marking the first No. 1 album for the band. Released in July 2011, If Not Now, When? is considered one of Incubus' "darker" albums to date and, according to Boyd, reaches further from a conceptual point of view, with songs such as "Tomorrow' Food" drawing on inspiration from Ken Wilber's A Brief History Of Everything, a book examining the course of human evolution.

"[The] term … 'to make it' never really spoke to me because on my best day, I don't want to 'make' it, I want the process to continue," says Boyd. "I want to be food for the next part of the process."

Despite their past success and current worldwide tour, Incubus are committed to staying grounded while continuing to look forward.

"The understanding of our good fortune is never far away," says Boyd

From the tweetworld  http://twitter.com/#!/mybrandonboyd

my fav line: "He's penned two books -- "White Fluffy Clouds" and "From the Murks of the Sultry Abyss" -- that feature photography, artwork and writing, with plans for a third effort."  Yay!

Incubus' Brandon Boyd more than a frontman

May 09, 2012 -- 6:00 PM

Justin Wysong/Courtesy photo

Robert Fulton
Wed, 2012-05-09 18:00

As the lead singer of Incubus, Brandon Boyd has performed in front of tens of thousands of adoring fans.

But that doesn't mean he didn't have some hesitation when he released his first solo album or debuted the fine art that has long been a passion.

"It indeed has its vulnerabilities, and the feelings that emerge are not too dissimilar from the feelings I experienced when we first put out a record," Boyd said.

Boyd's interests have broadened beyond just that of music. He's had his fine art displayed in L.A. area galleries and has used it to raise money for charity. He's penned two books -- "White Fluffy Clouds" and "From the Murks of the Sultry Abyss" -- that feature photography, artwork and writing, with plans for a third effort.

"I look at it as luck and good fortune and hard work that has allowed me to be an artist in many different facets," Boyd said.

In 2010, while the members of Incubus were on hiatus, Boyd released his solo album "The Wild Trapeze."

"I was absolutely terrified," Boyd said. "I almost didn't put it out because of how much fear I was feeling around letting it go."

Incubus is still touring behind last year's "If Not Now, When?" and this summer will hit the road with Linkin Park. Boyd and the band have also stayed busy with their Make Yourself Foundation, which raises funds for a number of charities through selling meet-and-greet opportunities, bootlegs and other items.

To keep up with everything, Boyd doesn't waste much time with mindless, frivolous activities.

"I like being busy," he said. "I like pinning myself with these things. I don't spend a lot of time idling in other ways. When I find myself idling, I'll do my best to pick up a pen, or pick up a guitar or a paintbrush or something. There's always an occasion where you don't feel like doing those things. I'll try and idle in a constructive way.

"I feel very, very blessed to do what we do, especially in the time that we're doing it," Boyd added. "It's just strange and tumultuous, but also really a wonderful and exciting time. I just feel very, very blessed to be able to make art and make music for a living, for a way of life."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/entertainment/2012/05/incubus-brandon...

Brandon Boyd: singer-songwriter, visual artist, author and environmentalist

Scott Harrison/Retna/HarrisonPhotos.com

Incubus at The Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel on Oct. 8, 2011.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 | 1:47 a.m

Incubus at The Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel

Brandon Boyd is a Renaissance man. While the singer-songwriter is widely known as the frontman of Incubus, Boyd also is a successful visual artist, an author and an advocate for the environment and sustainability.

Boyd balances all of it often while traveling the globe with his bandmates, most of whom he know from his high school days in Southern California. Incubus’ tour in support of the alternative band’s latest release, “If Not Now, When?” brings them to the Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel on Friday and Saturday.

“We’ve been everywhere in the world -- twice,” says Boyd, laughing. “But what’s interesting is that amid the crazy schedule and the travel and everything, there are these idle moments. It’s been a lifelong goal to make the best possible use of those times.”

Boyd, 36, brings sketchbooks, watercolors and inks with him while on the road, and he’ll often take a step back to realize that he’s amassed a large body of work in a short period of time. Longtime fans of Incubus might recognize his earlier work, as drummer Jose Pasillas and he used to draw the band’s concert fliers.

“We both loved to draw, and we felt like, I know that he probably feels the same way as I do, drawing is really just another extension of writing a song. It’s the same, just with a different set of tools.”

Boyd is very involved in Incubus’ tour production elements, including backdrops and props, as well as the band’s music videos.

“We’ve had three producers in the 20 years that we’ve been a band, but we’re very much like a self-produced band,” Boyd says. “Producers end up being almost creative wranglers for us, but no one helps us write the songs.”

As for Boyd’s artwork, he says on his website that he faces the same dilemma when asked about the style of his music, finding both difficult to classify. Incubus’s large collection of songs offers striking differences of music styles.

“I think that what most artists are trying to do is trying to understand. I think what distinguishes creative people and/or artists from another type of person is perhaps a willingness to go headlong into that uncertainty.”

Incubus welcomes variety in their music, as Boyd does in his artwork, which has been shown at galleries in his native Golden State. His first gallery show, “Ectoplasm,” was in September 2008 in Los Angeles. Boyd has kept busy ever since and has had a mural on display at the Museum of Monterey in Northern California.

The mural was painted at skating an surfing company Hurley’s Hurley ) ( Space Gallery and combined three of Boyd’s interests: art, surfing and saving the environment. The project focused on ocean pollution, depicting a large amount of plastics and other undesirables floating among the creatures of the sea.

“The mural thing with Hurley was the most deliberate art project that I’ve ever done. It’s something that’s very close to my heart, having grown up surfing and being on the front lines of ocean pollution,” the still-avid surfer says. He expressed his views on the environment in an April 2011 blog on Huffington Post titled, “Sustainability Isn’t a Four-Letter Word -- It’s a Fourteen-Letter Word.”

Boyd wrote another Huffington Post article about an event at the Monterey exhibit, and he has released two books of his artwork and writings, “White Fluffy Clouds” and “From the Murks of the Sultry Abyss.” A third book is in the works, and Boyd hopes to release it next year.

“I hope it’s everything that the first two are not and then some. I’m in a moment of surplus with drawings and paintings, so I’m kind of at a place where I’m starting to curate the most, I guess, evocative and/or the best of the bunch.”

Boyd is aiming to incorporate a visual presentation of his work in conjunction with the upcoming release, which he expects to be his next public presentation.

With all of his success with Incubus and in his own creative endeavors (he released a solo album in 2010 titled “The Wild Trapeze”), Boyd says he isn’t jaded at all.

“I feel like a little kid who just walked into a candy store. I think that’s something to smile about.”

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/may/24/brandon-boyd-singer-son...

Photos: Incubus wishes you were here (at The Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel)

Erik Kabik/ErikKabik.com

Brandon Boyd and his band Incubus at The Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel on Friday, May 25, 2012.

2012MDW: Incubus at HRH's The Joint

Brandon Boyd and his band Incubus at The Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel on Friday, May 25, 2012.

Click to enlarge photo

Click to enlarge photo

Incubus has been making music for more than 20 years, and the alternative rock band’s Friday night concert at The Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel was exactly what you’d expect from a group with that longevity and staying power. There was a chemistry among the musicians, they were rehearsed, and their musical abilities were ever-present.

Incubus’ tour is in support of the band’s latest release, “If Not Now, When?” so a number of songs from the album were performed, most notably the first single off the album, “Adolescents,” a crowd-pleaser. Other “If Not Now, When?” tracks included the title song and “Isadore.”

Incubus didn’t ignore their earlier work, as many of the group’s hits (“Anna Molly,” “Megalomaniac” and “Wish You Were Here”) and fan favorites (including “Talk Shows on Mute” and “A Certain Shade of Green”) were sprinkled throughout the two-hour performance.

During the first few bars of “Drive,” lead vocalist Brandon Boyd asked the audience if they knew the song. The majority did, as the crowd went wild in response and sang along. The band even cut off their sound to let the audience finish two lines, and concertgoers didn’t disappoint -- a roar of “whatever tomorrow brings, I’ll be there” filled The Joint.

Die-hard Incubus fans were in abundance, as singing along was standard; more attendees than not were belting at the concert. Incubus’ more recent work was favored, as some older material didn’t receive the explosive reaction that others did. This might be a testament to the broad demographic that the band appeals to, as the audience was dominated by fans who appeared to be in their 20s (Incubus formed in 1991).

Each of the band members’ talents were exhibited onstage. Boyd’s vocal abilities have staying power that equal the band’s stamina. His falsetto was soft and soothing during tracks such as “Are You In,” and he showed off his substantial range. The frontman, whom I interviewed this week about his life away from Incubus, contributed more than his voice, too, playing the bongos and guitar. The band was extensively featured, with solos and instrumental pieces as segues between tracks. Mike Einziger’s guitar solo during “Talk Shows On Mute” received very strong applause.

Incubus was incredibly rehearsed; each of the tracks sounded just as they did on the albums, if not better. The succession of songs was fluid, and the band really worked the stage. Boyd and bassist Ben Kenney were bouncing around, and DJ Kilmore’s long hair could be seen spinning from the back of the expansive concert venue. The audience responded to their liveliness, jumping and fist pumping during high-energy numbers.

When the time came for the band to make their exit, the audience didn’t follow suit. Concertgoers didn’t budge after the band concluded its set, believing an encore was more than appropriate; it was necessary. Incubus delivered, returning to the stage to perform “Sick Sad Little World.” And if any fan really wanted more after two hours of Incubus, all they needed to do was purchase another ticket for tonight; the band plays another show at The Joint at 9 p.m.

Boyd even reminded the audience, leaving them with the last words: “See you tomorrow, Vegas.”

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/may/26/photos-incubus-wishes-y...

Brandon Boyd Interview

interviewed by: Victoria Dillingham

Brandon Boyd Interview - Incubus -

Incubus fans were among the masses disappointed back in March, when officials pulled the plug on the longstanding rock festival, Sonisphere. But the Californian quintet, who were billed to support headliners: Queen and Faith No More, were loathed to let their UK fans down. And within hours of the cancellation, filled the tour date with their own headline gig at London’s O2 Brixton Academy.
The band, who first met in high school 20 years ago, have released seven studio albums to date and sold more than 13 million copies of them worldwide.
Music-News’ Victoria Dillingham caught up with the charismatic frontman Brandon Boyd ahead of the band's gig at Brixton on Monday to talk about his latest projects. And to find out if the singer/songwriter-cum-author & artist might soon be adding 'father' to his never ending titles and talents.

Music News: It’s 16 years since you were first signed as a band and 20 years on from when you first started out together. How has the music scene changed over this time?

Brandon Boyd: “It really could not be any more different than it is today. I think the only one thing that has remained consistent, is people’s desire to listen to live music. It’s head-spinning just how much it’s changed. In some ways it’s easier now to promote yourself. I can remember me and my drummer drawing flyers for our gigs when we first started out. Then me and Michael, my guitarist would drop the flyers through every door on our mailing list. That said, people have much shorter attention spans (me included) now. So, it’s easy to reach out to more people, but harder to really ‘reach’ people, if you get what I mean?”

MN: You’ve become somewhat of a role model to young people over the years, first and foremost as a frontman and author and more recently as an artist. How do you continue to be true to yourself in terms of the work you produce?

Brandon: “That’s a really good question. What I like to do is forget my responsibilities (as I like to think of them) and totally tune out to try and make sure I’m always true to myself and my creativity. And if there’s one thing I hope people, young and old get from my work it’s a sense of sincerity.”

MN: I understand your mother was an artist and you were encouraged to be creative from an early age. How do you sustain the same levels of creativity now you’re older?

Brandon: “I think my creativity for me is something that is constantly evolving. Even when I’m not I’m not creating something, I am going through the process. I might be in a stage of ‘absorption’ where I’m really listening and observing what I am experiencing. Or I could be ‘adjusting’ which is thinking and processing what it is I’ve seen or heard. Then there’s the state of ‘reverie’ in which I can look a bit like a zombie, and I’m making sense of everything I’ve taken in. And then there’s ‘light’ which is when it’s all gone through my own filter and I’m interpreting it all.”

MN: Who are your biggest influences at the moment?

Brandon: "I’ve been extremely lucky to have worked with lots of interesting and truly talented people. It’s hard to pinpoint anyone in particular. There are times when I hear or see others that are so much better than me and feel I’m not good enough at what I do. And other times when I feel humbled and lucky to have a voice to express what I feel. There are lots of turn-of-the-century (by that I mean last century, not this) artists that I’m really into. Also a couple of photographers, Helen Newton and Tasya Van Ree whose work I love and am following at the moment."

MN: What advice would you give to other musicians, looking to break out of music and explore other art forms?

Brandon: “I love talking to artists and musicians about my process and hearing about theirs. There are moments in any creative project where a person can feel totally detached, very alone and isolated. I’d like to tell people that we all go through it, it’s normal. And if you can push through and brave the moments of darkness, there’s a whole lot of light to discover the other side of it.”

MN: What’s next for you in terms of art work?

Brandon: “My 3rd book is now finished. It kind of follows on from the last, but it will also include some print-ink, water colour and photography pieces of mine. I’m hoping it’ll be out in the next 6-8 months.”

MN: And music?

Brandon: "I still write music and I always will. I don’t know if what I’ve written will form part of a new Incubus album or another solo album for me. We’ll have to see."

MN: Is it true that you named your knees and if so why?

Brandon: “Yes, the right one is called ‘Chet’ and the left one is ‘Garrison’. Why? I guess you could say marijuana has funny effects on people.” (laughs).

MN: Will LA always be home? Given your travels, do you think you’ll ever relocate?

Brandon: “I’ve spent most of my life in LA, so it’s very much home. But I’ve had dreams of a more rural life and I can see myself relocating to a home in the woodlands, maybe even on a farm. I’d love it, especially as kids come along.”

MN: Sounds like kids are definitely on the cards...

Brandon: “Yes. Very much so! I think having children is one of the most beautiful thing a human can do. It’s what we’re meant to do after all.”

MN: If there’s one underlining message you’d like people to get from your music and/or artwork what would it be?

Brandon: "If there’s one think I’d like people to take from our songs, it’s the constant pursuit of a higher consciousness. If people get that from listening to my music, I will be ecstatic! I love the idea of being a participant of the evolution of human consciousness.”

MN: You’re renowned for your tattoos. All of which have meaning to you and I understand you let long-term friend and band member Jose Pasillas design for you. Given how much your fans must mean to you, would you ever consider launching a comp to find the best tatt designed by a fan and committing it to ink?

Brandon:“Haha, that idea has never come up. It’s a brilliant idea. I guess it could work. I tell you what, if we ever decided to do it I’ll be sure to credit it as your idea and have the name ‘Victoria’ etched just underneath it.”

Have Your Say

http://www.music-news.com/showreview.asp?H=Brandon-Boyd&nReview...

RSS

facebook

twitter youtube

last.fm

Image Map

Follow Brandon on Spotify

Join The Incubus Mailing List

Watch streaming video from Incubus at livestream.com

© 2014   Created by Incubus.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service