The tour is coming up friends and hopefully there will be a lot of talking and writing about the soon to be released Album If not now,when?. This thread is meant to collect all the links worldwide where Anything Incubus has been covered the past weeks and will be covered in the future. 

Not only is it interesting to see how different the views are culturally and between nations, but also how the media landscape will change in time.

So, let's start an archive for every one to access and read whenever wanted.

Tags: archive, article, blog, coverage, culture, media, press

Views: 8545

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

BRANDON WILL BE SIGNING BOOKS IN SAN FRANCISCO THE DAY AFTER THE SHOW!!!!!!

Brandon Boyd - So the Echo

So The Echo ($60.00) visually weaves the past five years for Brandon Boyd, who spent much time honing his craft, displaying his work, and using art as a tool for activism. Beautifully designed, the book reveals many new sketches and works with watercolor and other experimental techniques, as well as very personal photos and journal entries. There is a breath and space to the book and artwork that is a departure from his previous publications but the intimacy remains very much in tact.

Born February 15, 1976, Brandon Boyd grew up in Calabasas, California. In 1991 he began singing and writing song lyrics with high school friends in what would become the multi-platinum selling and internationally recognized rock band, Incubus. In 2011 the band released their seventh studio album entitled ‘If Not Now, When?’ and toured all of South America together as recently as December of last year.

Brandon’s life is certainly one characterized by creativity and self-expression, and though best known as a musician, he is also visual artist for whom art has played a consistent and powerful role throughout his life. He is the author of three books combining his artwork, photography and creative writing: White Fluffy Clouds (2003),  From the Murks of the Sultry Abyss (2007), and his most recent publication,So The Echo, released last September (2013).

Brandon Boyd goes solo with Sons of the Sea

February 7th, 2014, 12:20 am ·

· posted by KELLI SKYE FADROSKI, STAFF WRITER

With Incubus still on an occasionally interrupted hiatus, the band's frontman is bringing new music to California stages all next week.

After two decades of writing and performing with multiplatinum L.A. rock band Incubus, vocalist Brandon Boyd had been looking for a new artistic challenge. The 37-year-old previously released a solo album, The Wild Trapeze, in 2010, in between Incubus’ 2006 album, Light Grenades, and the group’s seventh studio effort, 2011’s If Not Now, When?But he never toured in support of it, nor stepped in front of a live audience to perform it.

Last year, with his band on hiatus following a lengthy global trek, Boyd hooked up with longtime collaborator and producer Brendan O’Brien to work on a fresh project the duo dubbed Sons of the Sea. O’Brien had helmed the last three Incubus works, including A Crow Left of the Murder … in 2004, during which time the pair discussed someday embarking on an offbeat venture. With the timing just right, they huddled into the studio and wrote new material.

“One of the things that I always appreciated about (O’Brien) was what he was always able to bring a lot to the table creatively,” Boyd says during a phone interview late last month. “Among other things, he’s a fantastic musician, but he was the first producer who was truly willing to challenge me as a singer and as a writer. I enjoyed working with him for many reasons, but that was the thing – he had a lot of courage. And so after 10 years of making records with him, we just thought we’d try putting on a different suit.”

With Incubus, Boyd has entertained millions in large amphitheaters, stadiums, arenas and at major festivals before as many as 80,000 people. But he admits to being extremely nervous about hopping back into smaller clubs and concert halls to share songs off Sons of the Sea’s self-titled debut, released last September.

At the time of our interview, he was preparing to “see the whites of the audience’s eyes” with his new outfit at a club in Washington, D.C., a gig that kicked off his solo jaunt on Jan. 27. It makes three stops in his native California next week, including House of Blues San Diego on Tuesday, the Glass House in Pomona on Wednesday and L.A.’s Belasco Theater on Thursday.

Boyd describes the experience so far as “revealing and also different,” seeing as he never thought most of this material would ever come to light.

“It’s great because I get to play with these amazing musicians that are really talented, but it’s interesting because it’s also made me appreciate the strengths of being in Incubus,” he shares. “Just the way that my friends in Incubus play music and attack their instruments, or don’t attack them – this is a whole new thing for me.”

The singer doesn’t fare well with idle hands. Too much free time and pent-up creative energy can spiral him into madness, he explains, which is why he has woven a variety of art forms into his repertoire: photography, drawing, short poems, lyric ideas. He has issued three books: White Fluffy Clouds (2003), From the Murks of the Sultry Abyss (2007) and last year’s So the Echo, all of which spotlight samplings of his passions.

“During the hardest times of my life, all of that tends to sort of spill out at the same time,” he says. “Then I go through periods of drought and I try not to get down about it. I just watch movies, read books or go surfing, and when the flood comes back, I welcome it very open-heartedly. The older I get, the more I learn that there has to be that kind of push and pull with the creative life, otherwise it just wouldn’t exist.”

His aspiration for Sons of the Sea is that the project eventually becomes more of a collective supporting a variety of players and ideas while sustaining a “revolving-door sort of policy.” Once his mini-tour concludes in San Francisco on Feb. 15, he will return to working on his art and might reunite with members of Incubus. That band remains more or less on an extended break, though it did regroup for a quick series of South American dates in December. Boyd insists there are no concrete plans or deadlines for a new album.

“That tour of South America was an amazing trip and we were reminded of how much fun it is to play concerts and make music together,” he says. “There is this indefinite holding period, but we’re still very excited about the band. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some kind of stirring from Incubus in the not-so-distant future.”

Brandon Boyd and Sons of the Sea

House of Blues San Diego: 6:30 p.m. Feb. 11, 1055 5th St., $25

The Glass House: 7 p.m. Feb. 12, 200 W. Second St., Pomona, $30

The Belasco Theater: 8 p.m. Feb. 13, 1050 S. Hill St., Los Angeles, $29.50

http://www.ocregister.com/soundcheck/incubus-600811-boyd-last.html

NEW INCUBUS IN 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEN KENNEY WILL BE PLAYING SXSW IN MARCH!!!!!

http://schedule.sxsw.com/2014/events/event_MS24729

Music just one of Incubus frontman’s many pursuits 

Brandon Boyd may be rock’s ultimate renaissance man. The longtime Incubus bandleader is also a surfer, painter, author, transcendental meditation proponent and — with last year’s “The Wild Trapeze” — a solo artist. Even his website is divided into two categories: art, featuring a recent sketch of his hairless cat Nin for Los Angeles’ popular Cat Art Show, and music, featuring Sons of the Sea, his new project with producer Brendan O’Brien, whose self-titled debut disc is a delightful, pop surprise. Boyd sees creativity as a multilimbed deity. “There are other arms besides Incubus, and some of them want to draw, and some want to make different kinds of music with different people,” he says.

Your fans are really serious about you. Have there been any crazy Kathy Bates “Misery” ones?Unfortunately, yes. There have been a couple that had that look in their eyes — that “I want to play in your blood” kind of look.

Your scariest run-in? It was three years ago, right after a gig of ours. All the guys were in the dressing room, and I was walking my bag and my bicycle to our tour bus when this kid came up to me and he was sweating really bad and his pupils were really dilated. He was definitely blasted on something and he started immediately into, “I made you sing that song tonight! I’m the one who’s controlling you because you’re my dragon brother!” I tried to keep it light, but it went dark really quick when he lunged at me. Luckily, some security guards ran him off.

How many art works are you juggling right now? Quite a few. I participate in group shows more often, like this cat art show. And I just put out a new book, “So The Echo,” too. I love being in a creative headspace and heartspace, because I like to busy myself with projects and collaborations.

What art supplies do you prefer? On canvas, I use acrylic paint. And if I’m doing more fine art stuff on paper with ink, I’ll use a specific brand of pens called Microns. But if I’m doing larger-scale stuff like murals, I love Krink oil-based pens. They’ll write on any surface.

You and Diana Garcia just painted a Venice Beach mural at Another Kind of Sunrise cafe. Were you recognized?There was an alley where the mural is, so it was kind of hidden. So some people would come by to see what was going on back there and recognize me from my musical pursuits. But not that many — it was very manageable. But most of the times with fans, it’s hugs and kisses and well-wishes and mutual respect. Fortunately!

IF YOU GO

Brandon Boyd & Sons of the Sea

Where: The Fillmore, 1805 Geary Blvd., S.F.

When: 9 p.m. Saturday

Tickets: $26.50

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/music-just-one-of-incubus-fr...

Published: 2014/02/14
by Sam D'Arcangelo

Brandon Boyd Talks Sons of the Sea, Incubus and Phish

For the past two decades Brandon Boyd has made a name for himself as frontman for stoner-friendly alternative rock powerhouse Incubus. The singer has also proven himself a bit of a Renaissance man, with three books, numerous art shows and a solo record under his belt. Boyd’s latest project, Sons of the Sea, finds him teaming up with producer Brendan O’Brien to create an album that is markedly different from the material that he’s become known for. At it’s core, the duo’s self-titled debut album is a pop a record, albeit one that is more grounded in musicality than the stuff that currently populates the airwaves.

We caught up with Boyd to talk about Sons of the Sea, his current tour in support of the new album and the future of Incubus. We also touched on Boyd’s admiration for a thirty-year-old rock band by the name of Phish.

You’ve said that your new project, Sons of the Sea, plays off your more Beatles-esque and R&B side, and that’s definitely apparent when listening to the album. What inspired you to take up this project, and is this a side of you that you felt was lacking in your work with Incubus?

This wasn’t born of any sense of lack. This was born mostly out of the same kinds of desires that making an Incubus record would be born of. It was just more chasing a dream to see what it would be like to write songs with Brendan O’Brien. And due to just fortuitous circumstances around his schedule and mine, both opening up at the same time, which is rare, we decided to indulge an old conversation that him and I had been having for some time about trying to write some songs together. And so we found ourselves in this occasion where we have the time and the space and the desire. We got together and the first song we wrote together was a song called “Lady Black,” and we both really enjoyed it, so we continued. And in a pretty short period of time we had, I had full songs, enough that we could actually see that there was something here. So we decided to kind of finish it and make an album. And it was beautiful because there was no budget constraints, there was no record label, there was no time constraints, it was just, it was mostly just two musicians who had worked together a lot in the past getting to work together for the first time. I’m really really happy that we had the opportunity to do so. And I think you can hear that in the record too.

What do you think differentiates the music on the new Sons of the Sea release with your previous work with Incubus and your solo release?

I think that most of what differentiates it is its, the backdrop and what the backdrop does to my delivery as a singer, my ideas as a writer have been. They’ve been exclusively used for the past 20-something years with Incubus, and the kind of music that we write together. It’s diverse and it kind of goes all over the place, but the way that we write together evokes certain creative responses out of each other. When I started writing music with Brendan, it was calling forth a very different kind of creative response. And so I think that’s really the main difference is that the players were different. And there were less players involved, as well. That’s probably a big difference. Incubus is very much a creative democracy, and those same ethos was used in making Sons of the Sea record. There were only two people making these decisions as opposed to five, at times six because, with Incubus, Brendan would be producing, so that sixth opinion ended up being valuable for us as well. But with this, it was just him and I in a studio together and just bouncing ideas back and forth. So it was different and really really fun.

So did just the two of you record all of the music, or were there other musicians who came in to help out?

It was just the two of us, for alI of it. I was playing all the drums and all the percussion stuff, so very very last-minute, we were actually about to start mixing the album and I started to get kind of haunted by this idea that maybe the drums being played by an actual professional drummer could take the songs to yet another level. if we had a kind of like drumming assassin at the helm. As I was thinking that, our friend Josh Freese happened to be at a neighboring studio next door to us, so we invited him to come and play. So he kind of interpreted all of my drum parts, but as a professional drummer would. It worked. It took the songs to another level. In the end, Josh Freese played all the drums.

So when you guys go on the road, what will the instrumentation look like? Will it just be the two of you, or will there be more people in the band?

Yeah there’s gonna be a full band, and Brendan O’Brien won’t be on tour with us. He’s got other things he needs to do. I don’t really blame him, but there’ll be five people. It’ll be myself, keyboard, bass, guitar and drums. So it’ll be a full band.

Is it looking, right now, like Sons of the Sea will replace Incubus as your primary project going forward?

No, not necessarily. I think that would be too sort of, it would be too bold a statement. What I would like to do is concentrate on each of them, give each of them my full energy as they sort of present themselves and as they need my attention. So at the moment, Incubus is going back to kind of a hiatus stage after our tour of South America. And so now my energy is going to be focused on Sons of the Sea for the time being. But that’d be too extreme of a statement for me I think.

So many of our readers know you as the lead vocalist for Incubus, but they also know you as a pretty big Phish fan. A past quote of yours was even used in one of our recent 30th anniversary Phish retrospective pieces. What does that band mean to you, and how have they influenced you musically?

Well, Phish was one of the first bands that I kind of became obsessed with, in a live sense. I’ve seen them probably a dozen times. They were the first band that I would travel to go see as a teenager. I didn’t have any money or anything, but I would scrape together enough gas money to, with a couple of friends, to go see shows out of state or up north in California. They were, I don’t know, they were the first time I really started to pay steeper attention to the dynamics of musicality and what was possible as far as musicianship was concerned, which is kind of odd for me because I find sometimes that I’m not a great musician. I’m more of a writer and a singer, but I’ve always admired their ability to keep humor involved in their music and their sort of courage to be absurd at times. I’m also a fan of absurdity, you know? The music that I write often seems to have a sort of serious bent, but I like to sort of keep my sense of humor intact. Also the guys in Incubus, Michael (Einziger) and Ben (Kenney) in particular, they were the guys that I would go see Phish with. We would go watch a show and laugh and dance and have great nights together and be inspired to come back and write songs. We never wanted to be Phish necessarily because I think we were appreciating them for what they were. We wanted to be what we were going to be, but we didn’t really know what that was, so we would just sort of write these songs, and they came out a lot more kind of heavy sounding. You wouldn’t know we were listening to Phish, but we were also listening to Primus and all these different other bands that we were kind of obsessed with around that time. But it goes without saying I’m definitely a big fan of that band. I miss them, actually. I really liked to see them growing up.

Do you have any plans to catch them in the summer, perhaps?

If I can, I absolutely will. I would love to.

Well in honor of their 30th anniversary, we’ve been asking a lot of people what their favorite Phish show of all time was. Do you have an answer to that question?

My favorite one Phish show. I saw them once at an event called Laguna Seca Daze, which was in Monterey, California, and Primus’ side project called Sausage, as well as a band called Four Non-Blondes. So I drove with Mike from Incubus as well as my girlfriend at the time. We drove out in my really shitty VW Bus that I had when I was 17, and it broke down about 4 hours out of L.A.. We got sidetracked for a minute, and then went back to LA, got in my girlfriend’s car, and then drove all the way back up and caught the show. It was even more fun because we almost didn’t make it. One of those situations. That one was always very memorable to me.

So now that you guys are on hiatus, what does it look like the future has in store for Incubus?

The future is bright. We recently did some shows in South America. We were reminded of how much love and support there is around the world for our band, and it was one of the more memorable tours we’ve ever done. The audiences down there are so beautiful, so responsive, so enthusiastic that I think that, when the time is right and we do decide to come back together, to make another record or go on another tour or something, we’re going to so with as much enthusiasm, as much excitement at heart as possible. It was really a great sort of recharge for us, to go out and do that. I don’t know when that’s going to happen, but we will definitely be there flying the flag very high.

What can we expect for these Sons of the Sea shows. Are there any surprises planned? What do you have in store for us?

What we’re on doing is, well the plan is to not suck. My intention is to play material from my first solo record, _The Wild Trapeze, as well as material from the new Sons of the Sea records. There isn’t so much to draw on at this point. I’m used to drawing from like 8 or 9 records with Incubus, so it’ll be different. And I’m really excited about it. I’m also quite nervous about it, but I think that’s good. I think it’s good to be nervous about something. I just hope that people come out and enjoy it and are there with sort of open minds, and I think that’s going to be the case. I’ve always been very blessed over the years to have an audience that is really willing to stretch, so it’s going to be a lot of fun.

http://www.jambands.com/features/2014/02/14/brandon-boyd-talks-sons...

Thanks again, Natalie!  You always find the best!

Of course! How was the show Debbie??? 

Glasswerk Interview Brandon Boyd of Incubus

By itllbeefine

We got the chance to talk to Brandon Boyd (Incubus) about his solo project Sons of the Sea's new self titled record. We also cover waste product Islands in the Pacific, The struggle with aging and how to cope with twitter death threats. 

If you enjoyed this don't hesistate to check out more great material over at Glasswerk. All your news, reviews and interviews. 

http://i.mixcloud.com/CG14Ni

http://www.ampya.com/news/Interviews/Verletze-keinen-Anderen-auf-de...

Here is the translation I did, enjoy it!

Brandon Boyd’s Interview

"Hurt no one in your path"

photo by Brian Bowen Smith

Hippie at heart: Brandon Boyd swears by meditation, thereby one can reach an infinite number of things.

With Incubus, singer Brandon Boyd wrote music history, now the multi-talented man introduces his new project with Brendan O'Brien, Sons of the Sea. Their self-titled debut moves between heartbreak and serenity. How he keeps body and mind fit with philosophy and meditation, Brandon reveals in an interview.

Brandon Boyd portrays in his prudent sympathy an ideal of life. HE is one who puts his actions in clear contexts - as a musician, artist, author, activist, environmentalist, surfer and dog owner. Since his regular band Incubus paused after the world tour for the last album, "If Not Now, When?", Boyd acts out with his ​​producer Brendan O'Brien. The multi-instrumentalist who worked, among others, with Pearl Jam and Rage Against The Machine, fiddled with Brandon half a year on the project Sons of the Sea. Both are presenting now their eponymous album. It is evident that those creative forces must lead to a great result, even if Boyd, the self-proclaimed weirdo, deals rather modestly his parallel work to Incubus. Just recently he turned 38 years old, but looks fresher than ever.

It was now clear to me, that time in reality does not exist.    Brandon Boyd

Brandon, you've just turned 38 years old and say, in life there is enough time and space to fulfil oneself. Most people would reply to you, that reality consists of stress on leisure and work.

Brandon Boyd: We are indoctrinated that we are running out of time. But it was now clear to me, that time in reality does not exist. People invented it to interpret light and dark. So what am I trying: to put the attention on a more cosmic reality that transcends the human experience. If you look at it this way,  there are an infinite space, infinite time, there are no delimited creativity, no rules. The only rule I give myself: hurt no one in your path and act according to your deepest sense of honesty and integrity, seek your happiness. And for me that means music, art and my loved ones. 

But if you have the infinity in mind, how can you then focus on something?

Brandon Boyd: One of the oldest techniques to relax and to worry less is meditation. It has nothing to do with religion, Buddhism or Hinduism. Just learn to sit quietly and concentrate on your breathing. I meditate, since we founded Incubus. It was great and exciting, but also scary for me. Going everywhere and having to give the best, staying healthy, these fears piled up. I had to learn to be able to support this weight. This went on through meditation. A nice side effect is that you can see your life hopefully and optimistically (laughs).

The more I learn, the more I realize that I know nothing at the end.    Brandon Boyd

Is it true that you write songs even in your sleep?

Brandon Boyd: (laughs) It's rare, but sometimes I have very vivid dreams. I've always dreamed of music, for many years of songs that do not exist. This is a very strange mash of subconscious material that only comes out in a dream, because the consciousness disappears. So other parts of us, maybe representing the bigger of us, have the chance to freely turn. The really rare thing is that I dream about a non-existent song and I am also aware of it. Then I wake up on purpose. I have learned lucid dreaming over the years. Therefore, I can also remember parts of my dream, grab my iPhone, drink some coffee and I sing the dreamed melody again and again, or even the text. It can sound like magic, but that's not unusual. Many musicians talk about it.

Do you doubt yourself?

Brandon Boyd: Yes, I have many doubts. I am a 38-year-old man living in the 21st Century. I came to the conclusion: The more I learn, the more I realize that I know nothing at the end. That's why doubt is also healthy. But I'm not so worried. I know that the sun will rise every day. (laughs)

Why do you see yourself as a weirdo?

Brandon Boyd: I mean that lovingly. I never expected all that happened to me. My life was often bizarre, funny, interesting and unusual. Observing this strangeness brought me to the concept. (laughs)

In Sons of the Sea you sing about love and being left high and dry – inconceivable, a guy like you being dumped. But what has helped you to climb out of the hole?

Brandon Boyd: I consider myself an optimistic person. Even on my worst day I think about tomorrow. I experienced awful relationship scenarios, some of them so sad that they were later funny. (laughs) I wrote songs about it and won hindsight. This experience gave me perspective. Music and art were then a kind of catharsis for me.

If you had the chance to speak to all people of this world, what would you tell them?

Brandon Boyd: Take it easy. Everything will be fine. I love you. Meet me at the bar, I give one out. (laughs)

"Sons of the Sea", the new album by Brandon Boyd and Brendan O'Brien will be available to hear this Friday at AMPYA.

By Vincent Grundke

Translation: Vivian Rabay

Many thanks to my Natalie Lopez for the help ;) beijinhos 

Thank YOU Viv!! I have been waiting for a translation! What a fantastic interview! Very different. Obrigada <3

RSS

facebook

twitter youtube

last.fm

Image Map

Follow Brandon on Spotify

Join The Incubus Mailing List

Watch streaming video from Incubus at livestream.com

© 2014   Created by Incubus.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service